Monday, January 10, 2011

after christmas posts...

Instead of after Christmas sales I have after Christmas posts! Things were just too hectic around the holidays to share these few things. I promise, this is the last post on Christmas. I also can't type much tonight. I cut my middle and thumb finger VERY badly on my awesome VERY sharp knife yesterday. I have been wearing band aids on my fingers that make me look like Michael Jackson. Today Gavin and I had a play date with some kids and girls that I am just getting to know. I wore a larger bandage on my worst cut. I wondered what these girls must think of my mangled finger. Oh well!

Today I have a craft and recipe to share. I know it is too late, but I will have this post labeled for the holidays and if you want you can refer to it next year.

For the past 2 years my family have made gifts for each other. Gavin gets into the fun too. This year he made reindeer for everyone. I saw a picture of something like this and came up with the way to make it. I would love to have him, and soon his little sister, make one each year as they grow. I think it would be fun to decorate a tree or maybe a wreath with all the different sized reindeer marking each year of their lives.

Hand and Foot Print Reindeer
You will need:
Colored cardstock for the antlers
Colored cardstock for the face
Pencil
Scissors
Paint, markers or crayons for eyes and nose (I used paint and added the eyes and nose with a Q-tip)
Hole puncher and ribbon if you want to be able to hang the reindeer.
Sweet little hands to make the prints!
1. Trace both right and left hand onto paper for antlers

2. Trace foot on paper for face
3. Cut out foot and hand prints. While I cut, Gavin drew on the feet paper. I let him because I used this side as the back and thought it made the reindeer even more memorable with his scribbles.

4. Glue hands to top of foot print to create antlers and face. Add eyes and nose with your choice of material.

5. If you like, add a ribbon to make this reindeer an ornament or other hanging decoration. Don't forget to write on the back the year and age of child!


The following recipe is an absolute must at our Christmas breakfast table. As long as I can remember I have eaten this while opening presents from Santa. The smell of this casserole cooking just smells like Christmas! I actually had enough ingredients this year that I made a second dish for New Years morning. How good is that!!

Cranberry-Apple Casserole
3 C. peeled, chopped apples
2 C. fresh cranberries
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 C. sugar
3 (1 5/8 oz.) pkgs. instant oatmeal with cinnamon and spice
3/4 C. chopped pecans
1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 C. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 C. butter melted
Pecan halves
Fresh Cranberries

     Combine apples, 2 cups cranberries, and 2 tablespoons flour, tossing to coat fruit; add 1 cup sugar, mixing well. Place in a 2-qt. casserole dish.
     Combine oatmeal, chopped pecans, 1/2 cup flour, and brown sugar; add butter, stir well. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Garnish with pecan halves and cranberries.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
can't wait till next year!!


1 comment: