Wednesday, October 27, 2010

town and country...

We just got back from our trip to Michigan and Chicago late Monday night. What a trip!! We had a great time, but I think we wore the little boy out! After a busy vacation our flight was delayed in Atlanta. We didn't get home until midnight Monday night and have been trying to re-coop every since. Gavin has been sleeping in until about 9:45 the last two mornings and still taking a 3 hour nap in the afternoon. I wish I could join him in his crib. I could use the rest too! Poor Mark! I know he is tired too and he had to re-pack and left for a conference in Louisville, Kentucky this morning. Hopefully he will get some rest in his hotel tonight.

We spent the first part of our trip in Flushing Michigan with Mark's grandparents, Aunts, Uncle and cousins. His family there farms so it was so peaceful to stay with them in the country on the farm. I really like going to visit them and enjoying there life for a few days. The land is beautiful. His grandpa loves to watch for deer. I also love the feeling of a big family all living close by each other. Everyone gathers together in the evenings at his grandparents house around their kitchen table and usually spills into the dining room as well. His grandma makes milkshakes and everyone just visits, or sometimes plays cards. No TV, just family. I like that. Gavin also got to enjoy his great-grandpa's toys in the barn. He got to see all the tractors and even the combine. He even got a tractor ride from Mark's cousin Ryan. Mark's grandma and I (...well all her truthfully!) made Gavin's Halloween costume. I'll have to post about that later! We also went to an apple orchard and a church dinner, but most of all enjoyed family. Here are some of my favorite shots.

notice the tractor in his hand that he got from great-grandma and great-grandpa. it looks just like great-grandpa's. it hasn't left his side since. :)






on the combine with daddy









he looks a little worried here, but i think more enthralled with it all. the sheep and turkeys ba-ed and gobbled back and forth at each other. it was hilarious!


...looking for reindeer...




mmm... apples. we got cider and fresh cider donuts.






After a wonderful visit we left the country for the big city...sweet Chicago. I laughed to Mark that I never thought in my life I would spend so much time in that town, but since my very close friend Meredith and her husband live there we try to make a visit at least once a year. This visit was just as good as all the rest. We ate, saw the city, ate some more, Mark and Andrew (Meredith's husband) went to a Bears game, and ate some more. I swear I gained almost 10 pounds on this trip!! But my favorite thing to do was just to be with Meredith. She is probably my one friend who I can talk to the most without ever running out of things to say. When I tell Mark that I am going to make a quick call to Meredith he always rolls his eyes and laughs because it is usually over an hour. We talked and laughed, shared things we are going through and caught up like talking on the phone just can't do. Oh yeah, and watched "Keeping up with the Kardashians" too! :) I always feel so much better after talking with her and being able to see and talk face to face is so much better. She is an amazing friend. I got teary saying goodbye and miss her already. :( Unfortunately I have no photos to share!! I was too busy having fun and never remembered to lug the camera around. Oh well... next visit... sooner rather than later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment