Thursday, October 28, 2010

amazing art...

While in Michigan visiting Mark's family I was lucky enough to have the help of Mark's grandma. She did an AMAZING job sewing Gavin's Halloween costume. I was in awe of her talent. I would love to learn to sew well, but can only make pillows with crooked edges. She is an accomplished seamstress who once owned her own store and had a complete work room in her basement with, I think, a total of five sewing machines. She had more than 1 machine called a surger (I think that is the spelling) that binds a seam together just like you have on store bought clothes AND trims the edges WHILE it surgers. Incredible!!

I always love watching people who are masters of their craft. I did go to art school, have a degree in art education and a minor in art history so I have studied all the greatest artists. But I truly see art in the form of what could be called domestic crafts such as sewing. It amazed me how his grandma took a sewing pattern (one that I bought that was really complicated. whoops) that was made out of tissue paper and turned it into the most perfectly sewed piece of handmade clothing I think I have ever saw.




So I guess this post is to all those people out there that may not have their work hanging in the Louvre, but their creative craftiness is just as artistic as any of those paintings.

...and... check out the beginning of his costume. Can you guess what he is going to be?

1 comment: