Friday, August 26, 2011

back in business/zesty black bean soup...

Yay!! Internet is up and running again!

I thought I would post a great, quick recipe today to make while keeping up with you business.

I made this soup a few weeks ago when my friend Megann and her adorable son, Bradley were visiting.

 




poor teagan... we tried.


Megann asked for the recipe so I thought I would share it with all of you here. It is super easy, kid friendly and good for vegetarians (mom). The cinnamon gives a really good, unique flavor.

Zesty Black Bean Soup
(A Whole Foods Recipe)
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil*
1/2 pound baby carrots, sliced
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed*
1 cup frozen corn, thawed*
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
1 quart vegetable broth
Hot sauce to taste*
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish

Method

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, bay leaf and salt and cook until carrots are just tender, about 7 minutes. Add onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes more. Add cumin, cinnamon, beans, corn, tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes Stir in hot sauce and chopped cilantro. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with more cilantro.
(I prepared this soup ahead of time. I stopped at the step of bringing everything to a boil, kept it in the refrigerator overnight and then cooked it before we were ready to heat. I also admitted the hot sauce due to the kiddos who were eating with us.)

Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This soup looks amazing! Can't wait to try it! Hope your fam is all settled!

    ReplyDelete